February 26, 2012

Pricey isn't always best

Lately I've been looking at lot of crafting sites. Now, I don't sew a whole lot(heck, I don't even own a sewing machine), but recently I came across this girl on Deviant Art who works with leather. Most of them are super simple and made from patterns she created herself. What really caught my attention, however, was the manikin she drafts her stuff on.

I want one.

So I started researching the cost of getting one suitable for what I wanted to do and came away scorched by the cost of quality. When I mentioned the fact I could almost buy a car for what most of the dress forms cost(my hubby and I have only ever had used cars ranging from $400-800), a friend mention that I could always make one out of duct tape and stuffing. I declined, saying I wanted one that adjusts. She just shrugged and we starting talking about something else.


That was a month or so ago. Today I found myself back on Google looking yet again. Not much has changed, so when I stumbled across a make-it-youself site for dress forms, I gave a look. Now I have to be honest, being wrapped in duck tape doesn't look like much fun, but that's really not the point of it all. The point is to have a dress form fitted to you for a mere $15 at most.


People tell each other all the time that you get what you pay for. Usually the idea is that the more you pay for something, the higher the quality and the better the investment. However, when you're broke half the time and can't afford to shell out the dough, cheap and easy works too.


Well, I'll catch you guys later. If I'm going to get wrapped with duct tape in the near future, I'd prefer not to look like I'm trying out for the tin man in the wizard of Oz. Besides, researching what color duct tape I want is much less painful then looking at anymore pricey dress forms.  

In the meantime, I found this lovely rose here through Google, but if you really want to see some duct tape wonders, stop by DeviantArt.com and take a look the gallery of the official Duck Tape artist, the DuckTapeBandit .









~Sun and Moon




P.S. Nothing to report on chapter twenty-eight(for those of you who are wondering). My hubby noticed me beating my head against the computer desk again and has banned me from my laptop for a few days. I'd be irritated, but I really did need the break. Edits start up again tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment